Monday, September 22, 2008

So I saw a few movies over the weekend.

All right. First off I have to say that Warren has pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of movie theater advertisements. I tend to tune out some of Warren's more offbeat rants, but in this regard he is absolutely correct.

A brother of mine and I finally saw "The Dark Knight," this past Saturday at the IMAX. A couple thoughts. First off did you hear that they are going to re-release it in order to position it for Oscar consideration. C'mon. Its a good movie in terms of action comics genre. But Oscar? Count me in as a vote for nuhuh. Yeah, Heath Ledger gave the performance of his life. Get it? Of his life? But still, the awsomeness of his performance hinges on the fact that he lost his Australian accent. He's an actor. That's what he does for a living. He is supposed to be able to lose his accent. He studied accents in class at University of Melbourne or wherever. Okay, maybe that is too cynical. He did give a sufficiently creepy performance outside of just losing his accent. But Oscar worthy? Let's see what other actors do this year.

The other actors were competant in their roles. I don't think the lead role for any action comic movie allows for a stunning display of emotion. Comic book heroes tend towards simple drama. I'm not saying that they are one-dimensional, just that their emotions are staid and predictable and the resolution of their inner conflicts are presaged. That's what comic books feed in us. The need for easy resolution of complex issues. Not the complex display of common issues which can be resolved in multiple ways. Anyway, Batman was played adequately as were the supporting roles.

Morgan Freeman seems to be resting on his reputation in all of his movies lately. He is capable of sterling performances, I reference his part in "Glory," among others. But lately he just seems to be phoning in the same character in every movie. Not that comic books are the place to be a great thespian, as I have already mentioned. I would have liked to see Katie Holmes reprise her role, if for no other reason than consistency sake. I am also a homer - she is from my hometown of Toledo, OH. But I like Maggie Gylenhaal (sp?). Many people will differ with me on this, but I think she is cute. Not stunning. Not even beautiful. But cute. Anyway. She did a competant job of filling the role of Bruce Batman's unrequited love interest. Again not a role that required much range.

I didn't really want to spend the extra $6.00 to see the movie in IMAX, but my brother was insistent and it turned out to be a good call. The movie theater wasn't so crowded that we couldn't get a good seat. It sucks to be in a seat off to the side and slightly towards the front in a regular movie theater, but in IMAX theaters it is death. That position 1)leaves you right in front of a tremendous speaker, 2)due to the size of the screen you get to see one fourth of the screen (the part showing insignificant data like a single rooftop in a panning cityscape), and 3) if you tilt your head way up to see the entire movie you ensure permanent appointments at the chiropracter and all the action and people are horrendously distorted. But we got good seats and all the aforementioned action and cinematography benefited from being on a big screen. The movie was pretty damn loud. I could have done with a lower volume. I know that in Batman movies there are explosions and punches and a lot of loud action. Presumably the movie theater owners know that too. They could have compensated by turning the volume down a tad.

Now to all the comic book geeks who are offended by my rant on the simpleness and implied insignificance (let it no longer be implied, I am officially stating that comic books are fluff) of comic book movie let me just say, get over it. I had always wanted to see the latest Batman movie. I enjoyed the last one and I had heard that this one was good also. But geek boys have been on the internet lately decrying the disrespect the establishment has heaped on "The Dark Knight." "Of course it and all its actors deserve Oscar consideration," they whine. Give me a break. I am not an elitist movie critic and the movies and actors who tend to garner Oscar nominations confuse me, but comic books are comic books. You know that the bad guy loses before you step into the theater. Its fun to watch the protaginists battle. I marvel at how innovative the sequences are. I appreciate the imagination that writes the story and constructs the movie, directors and computer animators all. But it isn't a deep portrayal of the human condition if the hero is challenged, has doubts, loses something or someone he values, and ultimately lives with the sacrifices that his choice engenders and the isolation that comes from being a masked savior. Other than masks, that is pretty much how everyone lives. And comic books tend to show all that a little more simplistic than other movies. And another thing. Where's the humor. Life has no meaning without humor. Humor is a constant, no matter how dire the situation. Comic books, their plot and their characters, are all too damn overwrought and serious. Batman needs a fart joke.

I'll end with some agreement commentary on ads in movies. First off the ads were for a regular sized theater, so they looked ridiculous on the IMAX screen. Secondly, the bulk of them were for the new Lexus sportscar that is coming out. Batman movie watchers have no jobs and live in their grandmother's basement, so they can't afford a Scwinn much less a matchbox Lexus. And finally, like Warren says, I already paid for the movie. The movie theater and the producers of the movie are already getting my money. They don't need the advertising revenue. And I don't need to be advertised to.

Matthew

No comments: