Monday, August 11, 2008

Matthew's Contribution

I'm new to all of this and certainly no match for Warren at this point. I just moved up to a temporary residence in San Francisco. I'm staying at my brother's place while he is in Mexico for three weeks. Going to medical school I think. No, actually, just visiting friends. Anyway with all the packing and unpacking and adjusting to my new surroundings I hadn't had time to blog. I'll do better.

I haven't really watched any movies lately. Well, none that have discernible plots. I've been watching three minute spurts of fairly predictible movies. Taking my enjoyment in short bursts. You know what I mean. Living alone in a new city can be a drag. Anyway.

Along that vein, I dug up an old copy of the old movie, "Tarzan The Ape Man," starring Richard Harris. An actor named Miles O'Keefe stars as Tarzan. Oh yeah, and there is an actress named Bo Derek as Jane. Whatever happened to her? She did Bolero and then disappeared. And that was such an inspirational movie.

Tarzan is actually better than I remember it being. And I watched it for more than three minutes. You readers may laugh, but the movie has some redeeming qualities. The plot works. Richard Harris is an interesting character, although he overacts horribly. The scenery is beautiful. I think they actually filmed in Africa and the director captured some great vistas on film. On the other hand, the acting is atrocious. Atrocious. Godawful. Wooden. Non-convincing. I said the plot works and it does. Or could. If they just removed some of the more preposterous elements. I'm not talking about the nudity. The nudity is good. Heck for my tastes they could have had more. But wrestling snakes and being kidnapped by aborigines that want nothing more than to paint you white seems kinda weird.

I haven't finished watching the film. I'll update my blog when I have a complete report to publish. Until then, I'll also look for more mainstream movies to review. I suppose that the purpose of this blog is to have point/counterpoint between Warren and myself, so I will have to seek out a copy of "The Bone Collector."

Matthew

No comments: